UCSB and the Student Engagement & Leadership – SEAL are unable to issue permits valid for off-campus food distribution and sales. If you are considering giving away or selling food and/or beverages to the public anywhere off-campus, including Isla Vista, please review the following guidelines.

Before giving away or selling food and/or beverages off-campus, call Santa Barbara County Environmental Health Services at (805) 681-4936 or email Kendra Wise to discuss your plans and determine your permit eligibility.

  • The State of California and the County of Santa Barbara maintain extensive laws and procedures to help ensure food safety. 
  • Failure to obtain proper permits may have significant legal and financial consequences for you and/or your organization.  

Temporary Food Facility (TFF) permits may only be issued for community events, which are defined as civic, political, or educational in nature.

In order to apply for a TFF from Santa Barbara County

  • Submit an application at least two weeks prior to the event.
  • In many cases, when registered campus organizations submit an application at least two weeks prior to the event, they may have their booth fees waived as a non-profit entity.
  • Otherwise, booth fees ($84-180 or more) apply. 

At a minimum, a Temporary Food Facility will require

  • A fully enclosed booth with an approved floor and ceiling
  • Approved hand washing setup inside the booth
  • A way to keep foods that can support the growth of dangerous bacteria hot or cold, and a thermometer
  • A certified food handler in the booth while it is in use
  • A way to wash utensils
  • A proper water supply
  • Proper wastewater disposal

For more information, please visit the Santa Barbara County Environmental Health Services website.

Low-Risk Food Exception for
Non-Profit Organization Fundraisers

Low-risk foods and beverages, which are items that require no temperature control and are unlikely to support rapid growth of pathogenic microorganisms, may be sold by non-profit groups without a permit, for fundraising purposes if they are:

  • Commercially produced
  • Individually prepackaged
  • Fully labeled for resale

Examples include cookies, chips, brownies, cans of soda, trail mix, etc.