After Dark is a late-night social programming funding source for Registered Campus Organizations (RCOs) funded by student initiative fees to Student Engagement & Leadership (formerly Office of Student Life). Campus organizations are encouraged to host fun events on the weekends as an alternative to the Isla Vista social party scene.
As part of the University’s continued efforts to involve students in alcohol-free and non-alcohol-centered activities and events, Student Engagement & Leadership's After Dark Late Night Social Programming Fund seeks to assist Registered Campus Organizations (RCOs) in offering accessible, alternative events to the UC Santa Barbara community. After Dark allocates funding to RCOs for student-initiated, alcohol-free, and non-alcohol-centered social events and activities.
- Hosted by an RCO with the Student Engagement & Leadership or an Associated Students entity
- Held in a public venue on campus or in Isla Vista
- Social-, recreational-, or entertainment-based
- Scheduled for a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday
- Scheduled to begin after 7:00 PM
- Open to the entire UCSB student population
- The line items in your budget are clearly defined (no “miscellaneous” costs)
- You are not requesting funding for costumes, gifts, prizes, or makeup
- The profits generated by our event will not be distributed to individual committee members or to the committee
- Your event is alcohol-free or non-alcohol centered
- Any event’s hosted during dead week and/or final’s week will not be funded
- Campus organizations that are fully registered with Student Engagement & Leadership (SEAL) may apply for After Dark Funding.
- Funding will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis per quarter.
- Student Engagement & Leadership must be acknowledged as a co-sponsor of all publicity and promotional material.
- Applications must be submitted concurrently with the completion of the event planning process via Shoreline.
- Awards are intended to supplement funds obtained from other campus funding sources.
- Awards are designed to defray partial – not full – costs of the event.
- Award amounts vary and will not exceed to $1000.
- Funding will not be granted to purchase equipment, costumes, stage décor and/or props, or prizes.
- RCOs are eligible for awards once per quarter.
- A copy of an overall event (itemized) budget is required as part of the application process.
- A representative from the organization must be available to meet with the After Dark Advisory Committee to present and clarify their proposal as well as answer questions the committee may have.
- Unused funds will be returned annually to the general After Dark Late Night Social Programming Funds account.